Fresh and vibrant flavors of coconut, carrots and beets mingle in this simple, crisp salad.
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 medium beet
- 2 medium carrots
- 1/4 cup dried* or fresh coconut
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a dry skillet, toast the sesame seeds until golden.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Grate beets and carrots and stir together in a large bowl.
- Stir in coconut and sesame seeds.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
*If using dried coconut, cover it in hot water and let sit for 5 minutes. Strain and discard liquid.
Vegan & Gluten-Free
Recipe courtesy of Hollyhock, from the cookbook Hollyhock Garden to Table.